Monday, June 9, 2008

The Thing About Photography

Okay, so here's the deal with photography. Most of you know that I used to own a photography business and used to take pictures all the time. Now I pretty much have to be bribed into doing it. That's what happens when you have to deal with a couple crappy brides and a few crappy families being so nit picky about every stinkin' picture or wanting to have the option of black and white and color and then complaining that the black and white pictures have a bluish or purplish tint. That's what happens when you use color film and want black and white, sweetie (which I tried, unsuccessfully, to explain to her.) Or having a certain "live" prop not cooperate and having "LAW SUIT" written all over the place so not being able to get the shots I wanted and choosing to end the photo shoot. Not my fault either. Enter swear word here____________. Can you tell I had a few frustrations with my photography business. Too bad the experience with a handful of people ruined picture taking for me. Because in reality, I had so many great experiences with people. Also, I'm way to hard on myself and I'm my biggest critic, so getting those negative comments didn't help matters at all. But then there are extra sweet people, like my friend Angela who make photography enjoyable for me. So when she emailed and asked if I would be willing to take her sister's pictures, I was more than happy to do it. Her sisters were just as sweet as she was and I will always be willing to take pictures for them. I still shoot with film, and I must say, I took 48 pictures and only had 2 not turn out. So that's not too shabby if you ask me. Sometimes I think about starting up again, but then I think of the few people who ruined it for me. They were awful and I don't want to put myself in that situation again. You know, not being able to sleep because I'm worried that people are going to hate their pictures; yeah, not worth it. But on a side note. If I like you, and you can usually tell if I do, don't hesitate to ask. I'm usually pretty willing.

13 comments:

Kristin said...

i had no idea that is why you aren't working the photography thing anymore. it's too bad that a few people have ruined the experience for you (and others) because you take INCREDIBLE pictures.
unfortunately for me, i am not able to forget the bad that has happened in the past. forgive yes, forget NEVER.

Holly said...

Man, it all makes sense now, why all your pics are SO amazing! I had no idea you used to own your own business. People can be so dumb. You do great work. Such a cute little family in these pics!

Tiesha said...

Some people can be so mean! I like your pictures, I should have you take one of us. The last picture we had taken of us was Nov. 2006! Yeah, maybe it's time for an update! :o)

Hill said...

I'm glad I got mine done while the getting was good:) I'm sorry you had a bad experience(s), people are dumb and brides sometimes are so dumb I don't know why, they just can be. I didn't know that is why you stopped taking, but You do a great job regardless of what anyone said.

angela said...

The pictures turned out great, and Melanie is so happy with hers, I'm sure Amy will be once she sees them. They both were saying they want you to be 'their photagrapher' from now on so I hope thats OK. I love your pictures and its incredible that you are using film and still get such great pictures, you are truly a pro!!! Thanks so much for everything!

Amy said...

I can't wait to get my pictures. They look so cute! Thank you so much for taking them for us. You are so cute and so nice! I really appreciate you and your family for taking your Saturday night to come take pictures of us. You rock!

Nat said...

Hey Shannon, I have slacked on checking blogs lately, so I was catching up and all I can say is HOW EXCITING!!! I am so so happy for your family to be having a new addition coming soon. You truely are the best family anyone could ask for to send their baby to. I liked the photo shoot Abbi did, she's going to take after you and take awesome pictures. She also looked so cute in her dance outfit. And I too love when the kids get along and play together, it's the best sound ever to hear them laugh together! Again, I am so happy for you!

Janean said...

It's too bad those live props have to ruin things! (Giggle) Anyway, I have always thought you do an amazing job!!!! I ALWAYS looove my pictures that you take. Like I always say it's too bad you don't do it professionaly anymore because you would make alot more people happy. I guess I am just the lucky one to still have you be willing to take my pictures! Yeah for me!

Jennifer said...

I hope you like me because I love, love, love the pictures you take! I need to get more taken pretty soon.

Shortcake and Company said...

I know I love the pix you took of my little family. You really do a knack!

Eric and Karen said...

I hope you like me, Shannon, because I am going to ask you to take some pics of my family soon. :)

Joann said...

that makes me feel bad. I love the pictures of my family you did, and you're so good with the kids to get them to smile. You have a real talent.

Melanie said...

Shannon, thank you so much for taking my family pictures. We haven't had pictures taken professionaly forever!!! I love all of them. You are so sweet and wonderful to work with. I hope we will stay on your list of people you will photograph!! Thanks again, we love them
Melanie