Sunday, July 13, 2008

Poor Stella

Our poor little kitty, Stella, passed away July 11, 2008 from a bad case of food poisoning (we think.) Thursday morning I woke up to find Stella ill. We left for the day and came home that evening to find her even more ill. She wouldn't eat, would barely move and just looked sick. We dropper fed her some milk and tried making her comfortable. Friday morning I came home from work to find Stella had moved from upstairs to downstairs and she looked really good. I thought, great, she's going to be just fine. So throughout the day, we kept dropper feeding her. But by about mid afternoon, she looked really sick again. I was doing dishes when I heard her meow. I went over to her and her meows got softer and softer until there was nothing. It was very traumatic for me. Luckily Hallie was asleep and Abbi was playing with friends. I called Jeff bawling and he decided to leave a few minutes early to come home so we could break the news to the kids. I just couldn't bare to do it alone. When we told Abbi, she was devastated. We're talking sobbing and so sad.
Jeff helped her find this box and she decorated it. We found some old receiving blankets and put them inside and laid Stella in the box. Abbi even thought to put Stella's favorite toy in the box with her. Jeff picked out a rock from the garden for a headstone and we let the girls paint it.

We asked Abbi where she would like to bury Stella and she chose the farm. She picked a nice tree to bury her under. Hallie didn't really get it. She just said, "Oh, Stella in a present."
I have to say that Abbi was such a good "kitty mom" to Stella. She always made sure she had food and water and cleaned out her kitty box. She was very attentive to her and Stella loved her so much. Hallie was also a good mommy to the kitty. I would always find Hallie sitting next to Stella petting her and talking to her.
Goodbye Stella. We love you and we will miss you.

11 comments:

Janean said...

That would be so hard for a kid. I'm sorry. And it did sound pretty traumatic to watch the kitty die like that.

cl said...

i'm so sorry you had to deal with that. you are such a good mom. the headstone you guys made is so sweet.

Shortcake and Company said...

Oh...how sad! It's the worst when pets die. But I love how cute and tender you were with the headstone and box. I think that shows how respectful you can be with all of God's creatures.

Carrie Swenson said...

I am so sorry! I think you guy's are so good with your kids and handle it really well. They are lucky to have parents like you.

Tiesha said...

For some reason, I can only see pictures and not words. I can guess that your kitty died. I'm sorry, how sad for your girls. How sweet of you to make a special moment with them with the cute headstone.

Hill said...

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Something about the kitty food I was feeding my kitten food at the time. I'm so sorry. That is traumatic enough as an adult, I feel so bad for little abbie.

Holly said...

Man, you uys have had an eventfull week! Poor STella! I love the glitter toes and the miley concert SOOO FUN! :)

Paige and Jason said...

After having Kaycee go through losing her hamster and trying to help her get through it, I can so understand your pain. It is so sad. I hope it's not to irreverant that I chuckled at Hallie's comment even while my heart was sad for Abby's sake.

Cammee said...

This is so hard! My Halley still misses and is heartbroken over her little dog that died several years ago. You guys are great parents and helped them through the process so wisely!

Joann said...

I'm so sorry. it is so hard to lose a special pet. I love the headstone and box you guys made for her. she was a lucky kitty to have Abbi and Hallie for a mommy.

Anonymous said...

Oh how sad, that was so cute with the box & rock I hope the girls are doing ok thats sad. I love the glitter toes they all turned out so cute!! It was good seeing you