Sunday, November 23, 2008

Warning... Read At Your Own Risk

Some of this is kind of gross, so don't say I didn't warn you. About a week ago Korver started to get a rash on his bum. I really didn't think anything of it and rushed to the store for some Desitin. After slathering his cute butt with the ointment I thought it would be taken care of within a few days. He also had a little bit of diarrhea which I also thought was no big deal and would be gone in a day or two. Well, the rash kept getting worse and worse. My little sister is a pharmacy tech and mixed me up a concoction of stuff to smear on his bum. It started looking better, so I thought okay, we're good. Friday afternoon I was changing Korver and noticed some blood in his diaper. I thought, oh great his bum rash has started to bleed, that can't be good. I put gobs of the ointment on the rash and checked him again in an hour. He was good to go, so I was relieved. We left for a date and came home to a sleeping baby. He did fine through the night and Jeff said that he didn't notice any blood (any of you who know me, knows that Jeff has always been the one to get up with our babies during the night, I now he's a catch.) The next morning when I was getting him ready for the day I noticed that the blood was mixed in with his stool. You can imagine my thoughts. This really can't be good. I was wiping him down with the ointment again and blood started dripping; and it definitely was NOT dripping from the rash. I immediately called the on-call doctor at the clinic and was told to bring him in. The doctor examined him quickly and told us to go to Primary Children's. I started bawling. I didn't want my poor baby to be sick. So after a quick trip home to grab what we needed for an overnight stay, and after taking my girls down to my wonderful parents, we headed up to Salt Lake. After we were admitted, the doctors at PCH took some blood tests and a stool sample. What they found was that Korver is probably allergic to his formula. And that's the reason he's had diarrhea and from that comes the bum rash. They said that the formula has probably upset his bowels which has caused sores which is where the bleeding has come from. They switched his formula and so far the only thing that has changed is he's not spitting up nearly as much as he did before. Korver still has the bum rash and still has bloody stool. Now he's a little dehydrated to boot. They have him hooked up to all these monitors and it's really sad. I feel stupid for not making a bigger deal out of getting the rash taken care of. And also for not being more aware of how serious the diarrhea thing was. Who knows, all this could have been taken care of if I would have just taken him in sooner. But I'm just not one of those moms that takes their kids to the doctor over every little thing. I guess I better be one of those moms, right. Anyway, here we sit in a quiet hospital room. Korver is sleeping and has only waken up to eat and have his bum changed. He's been such a good kid the whole time we've been here. Not much crying at all on his end (a few tears have been shed on my end.) Unless you looked at his bum, you would never know there was anything wrong with him. Jeff and I have taken 4 hour shifts through the night since there's only one bed. He's also sleeping right now. I will keep you posted and I will also take some pictures of the little guy, cause don't think in the hustle and bustle that I didn't grab my camera. Hopefully my next post will be from home and it will be only a few hours from now. But they won't let us leave until the bleeding has stopped and he's no longer dehydrated. I feel really lucky to live in Utah right now where we have Primary Children's and all these great doctors that specialize in children. And to only live an hour away (even with Ute football traffic on Saturday.) I can't imagine living far away and having to travel a long distance to get here. We really are so blessed.

21 comments:

Liz said...

Oh my gosh, that is so sad! I will definitely keep you and cute little Korver in my prayers!

Andersen Family said...

Poor guy. Aren't we blessed to have modern medicine? Hang in there- hope you are all home soon.

Eric and Karen said...

I have been thinking about little Korver all night. He is in our prayers.
We are blessed to have Primary Children's so close. With all that they have done and continue to do with Adalee and Emma and with Mason and now Korver. They are great! Wow, our family should get a discount for all the business we have given them.
You all will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers!

Cammee said...

Don't beat yourself up about not taking him in. I swear everytime I rush mine in it's nothing and when I wait they have pnemonia or something. I would have done the same thing you did. Your cute little family will be in our prayers. If you're not home and need someone to watch the girls CALL ME!! I would be gald to.

Victoria Elder said...

Hello! Sometimes I stop by your blog, & I couldn't help but comment on this, have they tried switching him to soy formula? I had a friend who had somewhat of a similar situation & the dr's switched him to soy, my son has always been on soy as well.

K.D. and Megan said...

We are so blessed to have Primary Children's so close, they are awesome up there. They were great with Jared. I would have to agree sleeping up there sucks, I spent a week up there with Jared. We will keep you in our prayers. Let us know if there is anything you need.
Love,
K.D. and Megan

Brad.Lindsey.Lexi.Rowen said...

Oh Shannon, my heart goes out to your little man and to you. I know how stressful it is to have your baby in the hospital. I agree, Primary Children's is an amazing place. We are soooooo lucky to have such amazing doctors, nurses and all other medical personnel so close to us. They are angels on earth. Don't be so hard on yourself, there is no way you could have known that he was alergic to his formula. The important thing is he has two amazing parents who noticed when it was time for him to see a doctor. You are a great mom! My prayers are with you and Korver. LOL

Kellye said...

Oh I am so glad that he is doing better.

cl said...

shannon, you are a great mom! we are thinking about you, jeff and korver and pray that everything resolves itself quickly! keep us updated!

Heidi said...

Shannon, I was looking at some blogs from our ward and came across your blog. Our Tyler had the same type of experience when he was 2 weeks old (except we didn't have to go to Primary Children's). The doctors put him on nutramigen formula (which is very pricey) for the first 6 months of his life and then he was able to change to soy formula. Anytime he got a diaper rash it was bad though. He's now 14 months old and has grown out of all of his allergies. Seeing that blood was so scary. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Hopefully you get to come home soon.

Tiesha said...

I hope they can find some formula that agrees with him and that you can come home soon!

Sarah said...

Oh man that is so sad. Poor little guy. I hope he continues to improve and gets to go home soon. Keep us updated. And hang in there, I know you are probably so tired and emotional. You are honestly one of the greatest Mom's I know.

katie said...

I am so sorry to hear about litte korver. Not fun. The doctors know what they are doing. He'll be ok. It's so not fun to see your little ones sick. you feel so helpless.
Thinking about you.

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad to hear that Korver is doing better! I hope that you get to come home soon. I too am so grateful for Primary Childrens and the wonderful staff they have there. We are very lucky to be so close to such an amazing hospital. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

Paige and Jason said...

Poor little guy. I know what that is like. When Kaycee was a baby she got the stomach flu and would not keep anything down...even water and she got so dehydrated that she had to stay on an IV for 3 days. It was so horrible. I finally got to bring her home on Christmas eve. We will definatly keep your family in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh Shannon that is so scary! It is a blessing to have such great hospitals so close to us. We will definitely keep Korver in our prayers!

The Duvall Family said...

I will you keep you guys in our prayers. I hope you can leave the hospital soon and return to the comfort of your own home. Let me know if I can help you out with anything.

Holly said...

Oh no. Things like this are so hard because you feel so helpless. Hopefully this will pass soon! We will keep Mr. K in our prayers!

Kristin said...

thinking of all of you!

Loni said...

Oh, so sorry to hear that! You and Korver are in our prayers. Hope you can come home soon, with a healthy baby!

Janean said...

I am so glad that he is doing okay. It is so nice to know that you have such wonderful trained people to take care of your sweet little child.