Thursday, May 6, 2010

A comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush...

...or should I say, burnt mush. This morning after we were done doing Abbi's hair, I told her to go down and get herself some breakfast. She asked if she had time to make mush (that is what we call oatmeal in our family.) I said that she did and told her I was going to blow dry my hair. I hear her call upstairs, "Mom, is it 3:01?" I said, "What do you mean, the time?" She said, "Yes." I said, "No, it's 8:19." "Okay," She called back. I proceed to blow dry my hair. When I got done, I could smell smoke really, really strongly. I run downstairs and my entire kitchen and family room are filled with stinky smoke and Abbi has a guilty look on her face. Hallie coughing saying, "Ew, it stinks in here." She had put the mush in the microwave for 8 minutes and 19 seconds!!! And it was in a plastic bowl which had melted to the plate in my microwave. My house seriously smelled like a casino.
In fact, we all stunk. Abbi said when she got to school her teacher said it smelled like burnt food. Abbi told her what had happened and she giggled a little. Then, I had put something on Facebook about it saying that my kids' teachers were going to think Jeff and I had taken up smoking. Later in the day I got a reply from Hallie's preschool teacher saying that she could smell the smoke, but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. She thought something was on fire in her house. Yes, it was that bad!!!
I made Abbi pose for a picture and she wasn't happy about me sharing this story with everyone. But I told her that we can laugh at it now and that someday she will think it was funny. Let's just say Abbi isn't allowed to use the microwave for a little while.


No comments: