Sunday, August 30, 2009

Jemma Louise May 1997-August 2009

Today was a sad day in our family. We had to put our dog, Jemma, down. She got an infection in her leg and it just got too bad so we had to make the hard decision this afternoon to send her to Heaven.
Jemma was such a good dog. I remember the day we got her. We were so excited. Jeff and I had been married for about 8 months and Jeff's friend's dog had puppies. We had moved into a house so we thought it was perfect time for a dog. I picked her out and chose her name. I liked her coloring. Jemma was so tiny that she couldn't even make it up the one stair of our front porch and we remember the day she made that big accomplishment. We were so proud. As she grew, Jemma became Jeff's "farm buddy" going everywhere with him riding in the back of our truck. Jeff would take her on horse rides all the time. In fact, when she would hear our truck fire up she would whine until we put her in the back of it to come along. She would also go along with him when he went roping. Jemma has been such a good dog. I remember introducing her to Abbi when we brought her home. She didn't quite know what to think about this little person who was joining our family. But Abbi and Jemma soon became good friends. In fact, looking through scrapbooks trying to find pictures of her, I saw that Jemma was one of Abbi's first words. Jemma was such a loyal dog. When we would take her on walks with us, she would stay right behind Jeff and would only go in front of us when given permission. She also wouldn't go off our property without one of us with her. We could let her out in the front yard for hours and she wouldn't run away. We're going to miss her so much. She's been part of our family for almost 13 years.
Goodbye Jemma, we love you.


3 comments:

Michelle said...

:( that makes me so sad.

Anonymous said...

:( thats so sad. I sorry you had to put her down. Atleast she is in a good place.

Karen said...

What a cute dog! I'm sorry for your loss. We just got a puppy that looks a lot like Jemma. I hope he's just as loyal.