8 years ago today, I went to work like any other normal day. I got a phone call saying that Teressa, Abbi's birth mom, had gone into labor. Our case worker didn't have any other details but said that he would let us know as soon as he heard anything. Back when we were going through the adoption process with Abbi, everything was semi closed. We had met Ashton and Teressa once and had been corresponding with letters and pictures for about a month and a half. We didn't know last names, addresses, phone numbers. All of our letters had to go through the agency. We weren't allowed to be present at the time of her birth. Or should I say HIS birth! That's right, Abbi was a boy the whole time she was in Teressa's tummy, or so we thought. We were going to name our sweet baby boy Cooper Jace. We had TONS of baby boy clothes and the nursery was decorated in Noah's Ark. We were planning for a baby boy. Anyway, later on, I got a call from my caseworker once again saying that Teressa had to be taken in for a c-section because of the way the baby was turned. Still no more information. We wanted to send flowers. He told us that the baby was being born at Utah Valley and gave us STRICT instructions that we were not to go see Teressa and Ashton or the baby. But that we could go as far as the front desk to drop off the flowers and that he would call us tomorrow with more information. WHAT!!! My baby is coming into this world and I can't even go see him. So, we did as we were told (and yes, it killed me knowing the room number and everything and not being able to go up.) After a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG and sleepless night, we once again somehow managed to get ourselves to work. About 10:00 that day the secretary of the agency called and gave me the stats on our baby boy. 7 lbs. 4 oz. and 18 inches long. And then she said, "Oh, we have a surprise for you. But your caseworker really wants to tell you, and he's not available right now. So I'll have him call you back." I said, "Um, NO! I have been waiting all day yesterday and all night last night. You tell me what the surprise is." She then broke the news that our baby boy was not a baby boy at all. I think I actually screamed with excitement into the phone. Really, I didn't care what the baby was, but it was just too funny. I think I was also excited to FINALLY hear something. The other surprise was that Ashton and Teressa really wanted us to see our baby girl and asked if we could go to the hospital the following day. I hung up and got right on the phone with Jeff. He thought I was kidding and so did everyone else that I called to share our news with. So after the longest day and night of my entire life, we headed to Provo to see our daughter. Of course, she was beautiful with a full head of hair. We spent a couple of hours visiting discussing names and other things and then our caseworker told us it was time to go. Placement would be the next day and I would finally be a mom. The only thing I had ever wanted to be. My dream was coming true in a little over 24 hours. Placement was the next morning, so we got right up and got ready for the day. After a phone call asking if it was okay to postpone placement until 2:00, I couldn't stand waiting around any longer, so I headed to the mall with my friend, Janean. My baby needed girl clothes! Jeff headed to work to take care of a few last minute things since he would be taking a week off to spend at home with us. At about 1:30, I got another call saying that Ashton and Teressa were still having pictures taken with Abbi and if it would be okay if we yet again postponed placement until 4:00. I was starting to get a little nervous, but kept myself busy. Finally at 3:30 we headed over the the adoption agency. I remember going down our street thinking, the next time I come down this street, I will be a mommy. It's a very surreal feeling going to "pick up" your baby and those of you who have adopted know what I'm talking about. It's a very bittersweet day. You're so excited for yourself, but at the same time your heart aches for the birth family. We arrived at the agency and were brought into a room. Inside was Ashton and Teressa who was holding our sweet girl, and some of their family and friends. I lost it. I couldn't believe that this was it. Holy cow, a whole flood of emotions were going through me. As soon as we walked in, Teressa kissed Abbi on the forehead, told her she loved her so much and handed her to me. It was overwhelming to say the least. I was so happy and yet so sad at the same time. Seeing how much she was hurting really got to me. We gave them some gifts that we had made for Ashton and Teressa, visited for a while and then said our goodbyes. We were taken into another room to spend a few minutes with our sweet baby. Holding her in my arms was indescribable. I just stared at her and couldn't believe this was actually happening to us. Finally after 4 1/2 years of trying to have a baby. Being poked and prodded all to be told that it just wasn't going to happen. After waiting and waiting for that one call from the agency that we had been picked. It was happening. My dreams of being a mom were finally coming true. Our family of 2 was now 3. And now that sweet baby girl is 8! Where does the time go?Here are some things about Abbi that we LOVE:
She is extremely talented at art.
She has a kind heart.
She has an amazing singing voice.
She's a pack rat.
She loves kittens and cats.
She also loves dogs.
Loves riding horses with her dad.
She has a great sense of fashion.
Comes up with AWESOME names for our pets. She named my parents duck Lisa (who was a boy duck,) and wanted to name our black lab Sharon (yeah, also a boy.)
Happy birthday Abbigail Diane. We love you and feel extremely blessed and honored to be chosen to be your mom and dad.
10 comments:
Happy Birthday Abbi! You are such a sweet girl and I hope you have a wonderful birthday!
Happy Birthday Abbi! I hope you have a great day! You are such a cute girl!
i love her so much!!! she is such a perfect big sister for hallie and korver and adorable in every sense of the word!!
happy birthday abs, can't wait for your party!!
p.s. thanks for making me cry at work!
I love how you write the story for those of us who weren't in the picture when she was born. What a neat experience.I hope she had a great day and I can't wait to see pictures of the cake!
What a neat birth day for you all. I don't think I had heard the entire story. So fitting for sweet Abbi. I hope she had a great day. You know how to make birthdays great...that's for sure.
happy birthday, Abbi! Thanks for sharing your story again, Shannon, I love it! You're a wonderful family. Love you guys.
happy bday to abbi! :)
i loved ready your story, so sweet! i cant believe she turned out to be girl, what a nice surprise:)
I loved reading your post cause it brought back a lot of memories of the first time when we got our first son. We had waited forever to be parents and after 4 1/2 years and to much testing to mention were finally going to be parents and now just 2 weeks ago went through the same thing for the fourth time. And now we have 3 boys and a girl! All through LDS family services its overwhelming, beautiful and we feel so blessed! I love reading and "meeting" others who have gone through the same things. You made me cry cause I've been there and it doesn't get any easier with each one so many emotions! Your family is beautiful! Thanks for sharing I found your blog through Holly's hope you don't care that I commented! Hope you have a great day!!
Hi, it Kira Carter, Chelsey's cousin. I check in on your blog and cute family every now and then and thought I would tell you a cute story. I remember being in Shopko one day and running into you, Jeff and a new baby girl! I didn't really know you but I knew Jeff from being in the same ward. I remember thinking, "she looks so great for just having a baby", I think it was the day you brought her home. I have always remembered how happy you both looked! What a neat birth story. What a cute mom you are!
Post a Comment