A year ago today I woke up knowing that it could potentially be a very bad day. I also knew that it could be a very good day if things went the way we wanted them to. We went to church. We went for a ride. We drove to Amy's. I felt like I was going to throw up. I didn't. We got out of the car and walked into the backyard. And we met Michelle. Our Michelle. But we didn't know she was our Michelle just yet. We talked and laughed. There were awkward pauses and I struggled to know what to say. Would she pick us? Would she choose us to be the parents of her sweet baby boy growing inside of her? I was so nervous, but felt very calm at the same time. It was weird. We talked for probably 2-3 hours and then it was time to go. But wait, she hadn't said whether or not she had picked us. I got very nervous. I couldn't walk away not knowing. Now I really felt like I was going to throw up. I didn't. Michelle wanted to exchange phone numbers and blog addresses. I had to know. So I blurted out, "So does this mean you picked us?!" "Yes!" she said. A year ago today, our story began.
A year ago today I didn't realize just how great of friends we would become. You are my sons birth mom but you've also become one of my very best friends. Thank you so much for picking us to be Korver's parents a year ago today. We love you Michelle. I think one of the greatest things about having an open adoption is the great friendships that I have with each one of my kids birthmom's. I feel so lucky and so very blessed to have each of them in my life.


7 comments:
Shannon, whenever I think about this story and how it all unfolded, I get so teary eyed and emotional. It is so obvious that it was all meant to be and it is such a touching experience to read about. Your birth mom Michelle is absolutely adorable! Her smile is beautiful and so friendly... I can see how it would be so easy to become such close friends.
What the? I wasn't prepared to need a tissue first thing Monday morning!! What a sweet post, Shannon. You already know how much I admire you and the relationships you have with your birth mothers. Michelle is a gem...a sparkly gem. Love ya, Shannon.
You are so sweet! I love your story every time I hear it. God bless you and your cute family!
Michelle is the BEST! I love her guts!! She is one of those peeps you feel like you have know forever when you meet her and if you don't get along with her, then there's probably something wrong with you. A heart of gold, a HUGE heart, so much love and passion inside. She has so much to offer those that meet her. Her smile and laugh is contagious. I feel honored and blessed to call her my friend. It's weird to think I met her a short 7 months ago. I needed her more then I think she needed me. I loved opening to this post just after Elisa and Calli left. They came over so I could do Elisa's hair finally. It's just like my friends came over, an intense love between us and as time passes we have become more and more "normal" yet we always have that special tie between us. I never knew that one of my greatest pains in life would result in me meeting my best friend. I can only imagine what Elisa's children will be taught and your children Shannon; the selflessness and unconditional love you have shown to their birth mothers and also that when you open your heart through the spirit it is AMAZING what can grow. As I have my days that I want to "run" I have more days where I feel so privileged to be a part of such a miraculous journey called adoption. I love adoption, you always have something to celebrate, the day you met, the day the child was born, placement day, blessing day, sealing day, the day you were first contacted, etc. Thank you for sharing.
Shannon, I've told you this before but your story is amazing. You are such an awesome mom! I hope your kids know how lucky they are.
You make me cry!!! How lucky your three children are to have you as a mom. You are a wonderful mother!
You guys are so lucky to have each other in your lives!! What an awesome post and THANK YOU for sharing!
Post a Comment